iTecs IT Outsourcing and Support Blog
Moving office locations in respects to IT can be tedious and for the inexperienced, very stressful. For over 15 years, we have guided and managed the relocation of IT services and hardware for hundreds of clients in the Dallas area; this post describes the important aspects to consider and will help you perceive the big picture.
1. Making sure the new site is wired with necessary data and phone drops for each room and work area. If the network and phone cables are being adopted from the previous tenant, it’s important to have a 3rd party cabling company test each drop.
2. Having internet services activated at the new location involves collaboration between your IT support company and the Internet Service Provider. In most cases, companies only move their existing service (and respective contracts) to the new location. It is important however that you take this opportunity to see if there is a faster, more cost efficient internet service package available at the new place of duty. Fiber optics is quickly becoming the best choice for high-speed yet relatively inexpensive internet service and if given the opportunity should be taken advantage of.
3. Not all moving companies are adequately trained or equipped to handle moving computer systems, especially servers and network connectivity devices. It’s important that the moving company is insured and bonded to move the computer components.
4. It’s a good idea to have your network administrator on site to properly disconnect computer systems, servers, and related components before the moving company’s arrival. You'll want to have your IT support company on site to disconnect and reconnect the IT systems the day of the move. This allows him or her adequate time to thoroughly test everything before the opening day at the new location.
5. If email and other internet service related servers are on site at the old place, there may be the need to change DNS records. This is an aspect of the office relocation that should be entirely managed by the IT support company.
Useful Windows 2016 and 2019 Server PowerShell Commands (CMDs) and ScriptsRead More
How can Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) tools help your company?Read More